To wrap up the 2017/2018 school year we awarded $11,500 in scholarships to student members in Columbia and Clatsop counties. 2018 marks well over $300,000 that WCU has awarded in scholarships over the years.
WCU’s 2018 scholarship recipients were selected based on a variety of factors, including GPA, community involvement, and their need for financial assistance.
“This was not an easy decision as we had a huge amount of wonderful applicants this year,” said WCU CEO Robert Blumberg. “We take that to heart, because we believe not just in our communities and our schools, but in our future. And who better to make that future brighter than our children,” said Blumberg.
Eighteen students from seven area high schools and two universities are recipients of this year’s WCU Scholarships, which range from $500 to $1,500 each. This years recipients include:
- Alaina Schartz – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Autumn Crawford – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Bethany Stockwell – Vernonia HS
- Chloe Davidson – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Grace Travis – Warrenton HS
- Hannah Mather – Astoria HS
- Jaden Miethe – Knappa HS
- Jordan Kenney – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Kaitlyn Bakkensen – Scappoose HS
- Madeline Moravec – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Madelynn Hall – Scappoose HS
- Maisy Horness – Oregon State University
- Megan Clark – Rainier HS
- Nada Jones – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Odessa-May Roberts – Vernonia HS
- Payton Wolf – Oregon State University
- Rebekah Barnes – Vernonia HS
- Sierra Bechdoldt – Clatksanie MS/HS
“Congratulations to Wauna Credit Union members and all others graduating from schools, colleges and universities this year,” said Blumberg before adding, “You are opening doors to paths that lead to your futures – don’t stop learning.”