There are milestones, and then there are MILESTONES. This year we awarded $12,500 in scholarships to deserving students. That means we’ve now granted more than $400,000 in scholarships to area students.
The 10 students from seven area high schools and three college recipients come from all walks of life, plan to start a variety of careers, and are unique in many different ways. They do have one thing in common though, they’ve all earned their scholarship. WCU CEO Robert Blumberg said it best “There are so many qualified and intelligent young people out there. It’s always inspiring to read through their journeys.”
WCU’s scholarship recipients are selected based on a variety of factors, including scholastic achievements, community involvement, extracurricular activities, and financial need. WCU services a large population of low-income families and so the need for financial assistance in the community is high.
The 2022 WCU Scholarship recipients are:
Andrew Miller – Astoria
Kegan Rascoe – Astoira
Alex Tapia – Warrenton
Josiah Jones – Clatskanie
Wyatt Macdonald – Astoria
Jessica Butcher – Vernonia
Grace Tallman – Clatskanie
Kaitlin Dahla – Scappoose
Caleb Bostic – Clatskanie
Delfina Acfalle – Astoria
The last year has shown us how resilient people can be, and maybe no group has been forced to change more than graduating seniors and college students. Every year we reward those hard-workers in our community, and this year, we are extra proud to award $9,750 in scholarships to nine students who have shown commitment to their studies and to the area. The winners demonstrate the great things that our young members are doing, and the great potential they have to change the future.
- Ann Heyen (Warrenton); Ann is embarking on a future career in finance, at La Moyne College. Her ultimate goal is to open her own business and provide financial education.
- Cade McDonald (Scappoose); Cade has already started his college career, taking dual credit classes and a class at PCC. He is planning on getting a B.S. in nursing, in an emergency or trauma setting.
- Gabe Katon (Clatskanie); Gabe is heading to Lower Columbia College to study Psychology. He believes his time on the speech and debate team in high school helped prepare him for the future.
- Jessica Butcher (Vernonia; Jessica is attending Portland Community College in order to get a degree in Nursing. After completing the two-year program, she plans to transfer to OHSU and earn her B.S. in Nursing.
- Josiah Jones (Rainier); Josiah is enrolled at Northwest University, studying history and political science. He ultimately wants to return to the area to teach high school.
- Kegan Roscoe (Astoria); Kegan is entering her sophomore year at Oregon State studying business and interior design. She ultimately wants to start her own business, and contribute back into the community.
- Natalie Katon (Clatskanie); Natalie is off to Oregon State University, with the goal of entering the medical field. She’s excited to be working towards her degree at the same time as her dad attends a masters program. She credits her time in Leadership and track in setting her up for success.
- Samuel Irwin (Warrenton); Sam is attending Oregon State University in the fall, and will major in biology. He wants to become a physician’s assistant, and give back to his community.
- Shelby Blodgett (Clatskanie); Shelby will be attending Oregon Institute of Technology and studying Nuclear Medicine. She will also be continuing her athletic career, suiting up for the Owls basketball team.
The application period for Wauna Credit Union Scholarships will begin again in February 2022. The application deadline is later in the year, and winners are announced in June. All members that are high school seniors or recent high school graduates are eligible.
To wrap up the 2017/2018 school year we awarded $11,500 in scholarships to student members in Columbia and Clatsop counties. 2018 marks well over $300,000 that WCU has awarded in scholarships over the years.
WCU’s 2018 scholarship recipients were selected based on a variety of factors, including GPA, community involvement, and their need for financial assistance.
“This was not an easy decision as we had a huge amount of wonderful applicants this year,” said WCU CEO Robert Blumberg. “We take that to heart, because we believe not just in our communities and our schools, but in our future. And who better to make that future brighter than our children,” said Blumberg.
Eighteen students from seven area high schools and two universities are recipients of this year’s WCU Scholarships, which range from $500 to $1,500 each. This years recipients include:
- Alaina Schartz – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Autumn Crawford – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Bethany Stockwell – Vernonia HS
- Chloe Davidson – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Grace Travis – Warrenton HS
- Hannah Mather – Astoria HS
- Jaden Miethe – Knappa HS
- Jordan Kenney – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Kaitlyn Bakkensen – Scappoose HS
- Madeline Moravec – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Madelynn Hall – Scappoose HS
- Maisy Horness – Oregon State University
- Megan Clark – Rainier HS
- Nada Jones – Clatksanie MS/HS
- Odessa-May Roberts – Vernonia HS
- Payton Wolf – Oregon State University
- Rebekah Barnes – Vernonia HS
- Sierra Bechdoldt – Clatksanie MS/HS
“Congratulations to Wauna Credit Union members and all others graduating from schools, colleges and universities this year,” said Blumberg before adding, “You are opening doors to paths that lead to your futures – don’t stop learning.”
As a member and owner of Wauna Credit Union, we ask you to please take a moment and vote for your volunteer Board Of Directors. By participating in this democratic process, you’re helping guide Wauna Credit Union to a bright future!
VOTE: Jan. 26 to Feb. 26, 2017
Vote online: waunafcu.org
Read candidate bios and vote electronically.
Vote by mail: Call 877-597-9507. Select the option to vote by paper ballot. Paper ballots must be received by February 26, 2017.
Vote on Facebook: @WaunaCreditUnion
50th ANNUAL MEETING
Saturday, March 4, 2017
Social Hour 2 pm
Business Meeting 3 pm
Clatskanie Cultural Center
85 S Nehalem St
Wauna Credit Union has teamed up with TurboTax® to help our members get their maximum refund, personal support, and a great tax filing experience! Use the link on our website to save money, and be entered to win $25K. Sweepstakes ends 2/18/17.
- (Update: As of 2018 TurboTax is fully integrated into U-banking online and app banking. Simply login to U-banking and click on the TurboTax link)
2017 Scholarship Applications Available Soon
- Applications for our 2017 Scholarship program are available in early February. Get one on our website or at any branch.
- Deadline to submit an application is 6 pm, Friday,
- April 14th. Recipients will be notified by June 30, 2017.
It’s easy & affordable to start saving for the future…
Wauna CU will help get you started!
Find us on your favorite social media site, and stay up to date by subscribing to our blog!
At Wauna Credit Union, we pride ourselves on serving our communities the very best that we can. One of the ways we do this is by annually offering scholarships to local student members in an effort to help them afford their higher education goals. We welcome previous winners to apply annually also.
The scholarships are awarded based on a variety of criteria including need, academics, community activity, plus essays we ask them to write.
Learn more about our scholarship program on our website: https://waunafcu.org/annual-scholarship.shtml
Below are the 2016 recipients, we are so proud of them and look forward to seeing them progress in their lives and careers!
- Balance Transfer Special!
- 1.99% APR for 12 Months!
*Special Financing Terms: APR: Annual Percentage Rate. Members who move debt balances from elsewhere to a Wauna CU VISA credit card account may qualify for a special 1.99% APR for 12 months. After the 12-month period expires, the regular terms in the VISA credit card Membership & Account Agreement will apply. This special balance transfer service includes a one-time Balance Transfer Fee equal to 3% of the amount of the balance to be transferred or the minimum $20 balance transfer fee, whichever is the highest amount. This special balance transfer promotion ends at close of business April 30, 2016. Rates & financing are offered based on applicant’s credit worthiness and term of the loan. Membership with Wauna CU required to qualify for this special offer. **VISA Rewards accounts earn Rewards points for balance transfers (1 Reward Point per $1 of qualifying balance transfer during the special promotion).
This year, file your taxes the smarter way & get your biggest possible refund, guaranteed. TurboTax searches over 350 deductions & credits, so you won’t miss a thing.
Update: As of 2018 TurboTax is fully integrated into U-banking online and app banking. Simply login to U-banking and click on the TurboTax link)
- Cash Rebate!
- 60 Days No Payments!
Refinance nearly any loan: Auto – RV/Toy – Installment Loans
Offer ends April 30, 2016
Applications for our Annual Scholarships are being accepted until April 15, 2016.
Download the application from our website or at any branch of WaunaCU.